I am of 2 minds about hosting WNSP event in 2014.
Firstly, I am heartened and encouraged by the overwhelming turnout and positive feedback in 2013. I still love hosting the event and I am glad that I am able to add value to the Boston area Cyclocross community
Unfortunately, some riders used the high turnout to simulate race conditions: complete with chopping beginners corners and shouldering rivals into the "tape." Some riders even rode with broken or otherwise unsafe bicycles. These unsafe practices spooked other riders and caused me to question the wisdom of hosting WNSP in its current format. Furthermore, the event has experienced some static with locals (really just a local crazylady, but static nonetheless) and the city parks department has been unresponsive to our requests for a permanent, sanctioned venue.
With these conflicting thoughts at the forefront of my mind, I will continue to host the event in 2014 at the Smith Playground on Western Ave in Allston, MA. We are working on securing a sanctioned venue, but we'll use Smith until further notice.
Policing of bad behavior will be more aggressive this year.
There are a few changes for 2014:
- Registration will cost $10
- WNSP riders will insured against injuries ($10k) while riding the event (thus the price increase)
- Event is capped at 50 riders per heat. First come, first served.
- A riders and B riders will have staggered starts.
- All nights will feature 3 x 20 minute cyclocross efforts. 10 minute rest between each heat.
- Every night there will be 2 free registrations available for riders who break down the course.
- NO PASSING ANYONE IN ANY CORNER. Pass only in non-taped straightaways.
- YIELD TO ALL PEDESTRIANS, DOGS AND BUNNIES. Buzzing a pedestrian will get you an automatic ban from the event. We share the park, so if there are any pedestrians where you intend to ride, SLOW DOWN and ANNOUNCE YOURSELF. No exceptions or excuses.
- VERBALLY ANNOUNCE YOUR INTENT TO PASS. This rule especially applies when you are lapping riders since you will be moving much faster than the lapped rider.
- If you knock it down a course feature, stop immediately and fix it.
- All riders must wear a helmet and have a safe bicycle.
- Second violation of WNSP rules results in a permanent ban from the event and a public shaming. Warnings from last year apply.